What is a “now page”?
Most websites have a link that says “about”. It goes to a page that tells you something about the background of this person or business. For short, people just call it an “about page”.
Most websites have a link that says “contact”. It goes to a page that tells you how to contact this person or business. For short, people just call it a “contact page”.
So a website with a link that says “now” goes to a page that tells you what this person is focused on at this point in their life. For short, we call it a “now page”.Derek Sivers, “about nownownow“
Where am I?
The Willamette Valley, Oregon, USA.
Priorities and Values
- Decentralization. I’m increasingly wary of concentrations of power, and am trying to intentionally cultivate more horizontal relationships.
- Communities of trust. We should use technology to supplement, rather than supplant, interpersonal relationships.
- Interdependence. If we rely on and help one another, no one person needs to be fully autonomous. We are stronger together.
- Humanism. Human beings matter, and the richness of humanity is beautiful.
- Utopian imagination. We’re not gonna get anywhere if we don’t dream big and fight hard.
- Currently working from home due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but preparing to return to partial in-person work.
- I’m a mental health counselor at a small private practice. I work primarily with adults and do mostly individual counseling.
- My professional focus is on providing affirming, knowledgeable care for clients in the LGBTQ+, kinky, and/or ethically nonmonogamous communities.
- As of mid-May 2020, I am now fully licensed as a professional counselor!
- Providing support to NISEI, a Netrunner fan organization, as the Media Pipeline Coordinator.
- Helping restructure and revitalize the A Humanist Year project.
- Channeling my anxiety about climate change and the crumbling American democracy into disaster preparedness.
- Learning amateur (“ham”) radio.
- Thinking a lot about the democratization (or, even, anarchification?) of board games, and as part of that, making my own piecepack and multipurpose board games kit. I finished my piecepack in mid-2021.
- I’ve been very inspired by the IndieWeb movement, and I’d like to rework my online presence to better incorporate its principles. This has become a lower priority lately.
- Home improvement—I’m a new homeowner, and there are lots of exciting projects I want to sink time into.
- Tweaking my 3D printer and printing fun stuff—primarily board game inserts or organizational widgets.
- Learning about tarot and magic from a secular humanist perspective (see this post for more).
- Currently reading: The Body Keeps the Score by Bessel van der Kolk, The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo, Unfuck Your Intimacy by Dr. Faith Harper, and The Ultimate Hitchhiker’s Guide by Douglas Adams (see my reads for what I’ve finished)
Last updated: July 12, 2021